Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2012 West Regional: North Dakota vs Western Michigan; Minnesota vs Boston University

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
    Duluth fans cringe when someone just says "Minnesota."
    No we cringe when people just call us Duluth.
    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

• Re: 2012 West Regional: North Dakota vs Western Michigan; Minnesota vs Boston Univers

I myself am very much looking forward to the duluth-orono matchup...

Comment

• Re: 2012 West Regional: North Dakota vs Western Michigan; Minnesota vs Boston Univers

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
        After reading these accounts, especially Parker's comments I think I know what the real problem was - the crappy lighting in the old World Arena. If it had been better, Smith and the Gophers would have been able to see Meagher's halo and known that the spit was a gentlemanly sign of respect and good will and wouldn't have over-reacted to it.

I love that Meagher's defense (or defence) was that he was spitting at the Gopher players and not at the trainer.
        World Arena is Colorado Springs. But they still have crappy lighting!
        Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Gentry View Post
          Even though we cringe because we do not refer them this way, technically they are correct in calling BU "Boston."

Anything "Blank" University can be called by "Blank." Interestingly we never cringe when we hear Minnesota, Northeastern, or even Denver. We just happen to call BU by Boston University or, well, BU. However technically "Boston" is correct. Or, the almost just as cringeworthy, Boston U.
          That's to differentiate it from Boston College. There isn't a "Minnesota College" or a "Denver College" or a "Northeastern College," thus, they are referred to by the "first" name only. The University is implied because everyone knows there's no conflicting alternative. But if you just say "Boston," technically you don't know if it's Boston University or Boston Colllege - hence, the "BU" and "BC"

Comment

Originally posted by duper View Post
            It bugs me a tiny bit when broadcasters say "Denver University." It bothers me not at all when real people say it, since that is what the letters DU imply, but I think people who make their living (or even make money moonlighting) that way should learn not just the "technically correct" but the actually correct way to name the school. I have no opinion about BC or BU, but if the school doesn't wish to be called "Boston" on air, then they shouldn't be.

("Miami of Ohio" drives me out of my skull even though I'm not actually a Miami fan.)
            Miami University in Ohio, founded in 1809.

University of Miami if Florida, founded in 1925.

I wonder if one institution has a bit of a precedent on the name ...... nah, we all are mentally corrupted by NCAA football, right?
            No more slow starts to the season; we got over that hurdle. Now, Get it on!!! GO UND!!!

New nick is coming up. I recommend Spirithawks.

Character is what a person is; reputation is what he is supposed to be. (Abbott)

Comment

Now here's a rarity...

The Gophers are 11-12-2 all-time overall against Boston University
              Go Gophers!

Comment

My favorite Terrier-Gopher tilt was the 1994 National Semi-Final at the old St. Paul Civic Center. (Love those glass boards.) BU scored a goal while the capacity crowd was rocking the building with the M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A chant. Goosebump city. BU won the game 4-1. (The National Championship game has been erased from my memory.)
                It Happened!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                  No we cringe when people just call us Duluth.
                  Then you cringe at both.
                  the state of hockey is good

Comment

• Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                    My favorite Terrier-Gopher tilt was the 1994 National Semi-Final at the old St. Paul Civic Center. (Love those glass boards.) BU scored a goal while the capacity crowd was rocking the building with the M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A chant. Goosebump city. BU won the game 4-1. (The National Championship game has been erased from my memory.)
                    I have a bu 1994 national champs tshirt!!! I may wear it Saturday
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                      I wish I was around for the 70-71 title game. Even though BU defeated the Gophers, they couldn't have been too mad about ending the season as a 14-17-2 NCAA runner-up.
                      the state of hockey is good

Comment

So, I suppose we have to put the old "Maroon'n'Gold Alliance" on hold Saturday afternoon, huh? Hard to have an alliance if the two teams are playing each other.
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                          So, I suppose we have to put the old "Maroon'n'Gold Alliance" on hold Saturday afternoon, huh? Hard to have an alliance if the two teams are playing each other.
                          I see what you did there.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                            I see what you did there.
                            Looks like I have to sharpen my poking stick.
                            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                              I have a bu 1994 national champs tshirt!!! I may wear it Saturday
                              Yes!! Do it!! It would be awesome if there were a few Lake St folks at the game. I would video that reaction.

Comment

So can the UND band lead the Let's-Go-Sioux cheer?

Also best available tickets are club level now, so a majority of them have been sold since the selection show.
                                AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Working...
                                X