Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2012 West Regional: North Dakota vs Western Michigan; Minnesota vs Boston University

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2012 West Regional: North Dakota vs Western Michigan; Minnesota vs Boston Univers

Originally posted by Brian Gentry View Post
    Even though we cringe because we do not refer them this way, technically they are correct in calling BU "Boston."

Anything "Blank" University can be called by "Blank." Interestingly we never cringe when we hear Minnesota, Northeastern, or even Denver. We just happen to call BU by Boston University or, well, BU. However technically "Boston" is correct. Or, the almost just as cringeworthy, Boston U.
    Boston U would **** me off too. For whatever reason, I don't even like when guys like Brickley overuse "BC Eagles" and "BU Terriers" over the course of a game. How about just BC and BU?

Comment

• Re: 2012 West Regional: North Dakota vs Western Michigan; Minnesota vs Boston Univers

It bugs me a tiny bit when broadcasters say "Denver University." It bothers me not at all when real people say it, since that is what the letters DU imply, but I think people who make their living (or even make money moonlighting) that way should learn not just the "technically correct" but the actually correct way to name the school. I have no opinion about BC or BU, but if the school doesn't wish to be called "Boston" on air, then they shouldn't be.

("Miami of Ohio" drives me out of my skull even though I'm not actually a Miami fan.)

Comment

I'm OK with "Boston College". What's wrong with "Denver University"? Is it "University of Denver"? Wouldn't that make you UD???

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
          After reading these accounts, especially Parker's comments I think I know what the real problem was - the crappy lighting in the old World Arena. If it had been better, Smith and the Gophers would have been able to see Meagher's halo and known that the spit was a gentlemanly sign of respect and good will and wouldn't have over-reacted to it.

I love that Meagher's defense (or defence) was that he was spitting at the Gopher players and not at the trainer.
          Funny you mentioned halos -- I was just about to post how amazing it is you can see the Gophers' halos all the way from 36 years ago! Eruzione "tagged Anderson with a wicked high stick," Anderson "caught" Eruzione. Micheletti "jostled," Meagher "whacked." Meagher "sprayed spit over the whole bench," Smith "reacted instinctively." Those poor Minnesota lads are lucky those prep school jerks didn't take out the imported Canadian shivs they all carried in their skates! (Psst! And still do! Don't tell anyone!)
          Bugs Bunny - 96
          Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
            I'm OK with "Boston College". What's wrong with "Denver University"? Is it "University of Denver"? Wouldn't that make you UD???
            that is a midwest thing.. primarily with the big8. OU is university of oklahoma. NU is university of nebraska... so the others kinda picked up and applied the same logic.
            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by duper View Post

("Miami of Ohio" drives me out of my skull even though I'm not actually a Miami fan.)
              True, they should just use "dynasty" when referring to Miami of Ohio.
              Originally posted by CavalryNate
              Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                that is a midwest thing.. primarily with the big8. OU is university of oklahoma. NU is university of nebraska... so the others kinda picked up and applied the same logic.
                Exactly

Originally posted by Driftryder View Post
                True, they should just use "dynasty" when referring to Miami of Ohio.
                I don't know what this means. I do know that the first page of Miami's media guide asks that they not be called "Miami of Ohio" so for the media to call them that is just ignorant. I'm sure there are other schools with similar things.
                Last edited by duper; 03-19-2012, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by duper View Post

I don't know what this means. I do know that the first page of Miami's media guide asks that they not be called "Miami of Ohio" so for the media to call them that is just ignorant. I'm sure there are other schools with similar things.
                  It was a USCHO meme from a few years ago.
                  Originally posted by CavalryNate
                  Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
                  sigpic

Comment

I still would rather be a Badger--or a Bronco, in this case--than be a boy named Sioux.
                    Originally posted by Jack Layton's last words to Canada
                    My friends, hope is better than anger, love is better than fear, optimism is better than despair. So let us be Hopeful, Loving, and Optimistic, and we'll change the world.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerAlum@WMU View Post
                      I still would rather be a Badger--or a Bronco, in this case--than be a boy named Sioux.
                      I'm sure you'll be sorely disappointed to hear that there will be no boys named Sioux on the ice this weekend...now you will probably be able to find thousands in the stands.
                      North Dakota
                      National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by UMDBulldogHockeyIsKing View Post
                        But...Melrose brings "passion" to the broadcasts. Whatever that means.
                        I was cooking and asked my wife to turn on the selection show on ESPNU. The first words out of her mouth were, "Oh My God, look at that guys hair!" She had never seen him before, quite funny.
                        YALE HOCKEY
                        2013 National Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                          Boston U would **** me off too. For whatever reason, I don't even like when guys like Brickley overuse "BC Eagles" and "BU Terriers" over the course of a game. How about just BC and BU?
                          I am sure ESPN might have convinced you to believe otherwise, but Boston isn't the center of the sports world. And since BU doesn't have any other big time programs in other sports, most people probably don't know who the hell BU is.
                          Originally posted by SJHovey
                          Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                          Originally posted by Brenthoven
                          We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Driftryder View Post
                            It was a USCHO meme from a few years ago.
                            Aaahhh It must have been during my time of not posting.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                              I am sure ESPN might have convinced you to believe otherwise, but Boston isn't the center of the sports world. And since BU doesn't have any other big time programs in other sports, most people probably don't know who the hell BU is.
                              Didn't say it was, but what would you consider the center of the sports world?

Brickley, as in andy brickley, says what I mentioned during bc-bu games televised on NESN...as in new england as the audience.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brian Gentry View Post
                                Even though we cringe because we do not refer them this way, technically they are correct in calling BU "Boston."

Anything "Blank" University can be called by "Blank." Interestingly we never cringe when we hear Minnesota, Northeastern, or even Denver. We just happen to call BU by Boston University or, well, BU. However technically "Boston" is correct. Or, the almost just as cringeworthy, Boston U.
                                Duluth fans cringe when someone just says "Minnesota."
                                the state of hockey is good

Comment

Working...
                                X