Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2012 East Regional: Union, Miami, Lowell, Michigan State

Originally posted by x1795x View Post
    Union beat Minnesota at Mariucci last year. And, as my fellow Union Tracklete mentioned, we beat Michigan at Yost and tied WMU this year (WMU's goalies was impersonating Troy Grosenick, few mortals could score on him that weekend). We played well against CC and Dever in Colorado this year too. In the past two years Union has consistently competed, and often bested, WCHA and CCHA mainstays. Of course Michigan State and whom ever else we play, will be tough, but Union has been there before. God willing, the Skating Dutchmen will take care of this weekend in Bridgeport.
    For the record, I would not say that Union has "often bested" WCHA and CCHA teams. Last season U lost twice to WMU and dropped singletons to Alaska, Bemidji and of course UMD. The win at Mariucci was definitely a milestone for the program, but the Gophers were shorthanded a couple players at World Juniors and weren't exactly their typical powerhouse. However, I do think the team has gained confidence from their tough OOC schedule this year and have a better idea of how to play in big games. Stylistically, they are very similar to WMU - disciplined, defense first, good special teams and opportunistic scoring. This should be a good recipe for success in the NCAAs.. but we'll see. U has had trouble with teams that are very physical and don't get called for penalties, which is a concern with the "let'em play" reffing that can happen in the post season. I don't know much about MSU, but am expecting it to be a very tough game.

One advantage Union could have, is knowing how to play in a sauna from last weekend in Atlantic City.. sounds like Bridgeport could be toasty come this Friday too.
    UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

At the moment, the tickets sales are right around 3000.

Comment

Originally posted by bulldawg21 View Post
        At the moment, the tickets sales are right around 3000.
        Not sure if I mentioned it here or on the Lowell thread (been a long day already), but even UML doesn't know how many tickets were allotted to them. I know they have a bunch of ticket forms (mine included) that they'll be submitting once the conference call takes place today, so those wouldn't be included in the 3k already sold.
        Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
        2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
        2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
        2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
        2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

The Thing about Union is that they are remarkably consistent, they do at times not play well, but I've not seen the entire team not play well at the same time, if they show up they will have a good shot

Comment

Originally posted by superman57 View Post
            The Thing about Union is that they are remarkably consistent, they do at times not play well, but I've not seen the entire team not play well at the same time, if they show up they will have a good shot
            To be fair, couldn't you say that about most teams at this point?
            Monty

2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
            2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

The Miami senior class has been on a roller coaster ride. Their freshman year was the NC heartbreak, next year they went in to the FF as favorites and got trounced by BC, and last year they stormed back to grab a #1 but came out flat against UNH. That class has been through it all in the NCAA tournament so it will be very interesting to see how they and the freshman (who are responsible for most of the production) respond this year.

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
                Not sure if I mentioned it here or on the Lowell thread (been a long day already), but even UML doesn't know how many tickets were allotted to them. I know they have a bunch of ticket forms (mine included) that they'll be submitting once the conference call takes place today, so those wouldn't be included in the 3k already sold.

UMLFan, The participant school ticket allotment is 400 per school. That was not included in the 3000. I can confirm that each school took their allotment of 400 tickets. Please note that there are plenty of tickets still available, so if people need tickets and can't get them through their respective schools, they can also go on Ticketmaster or call the Arena.

Comment

The actual arena is very nice. I was there last year to see Union lose. Bridgeport can get a lot criticism but I thought it was fine. It's not a world-class city obviously.
                  Last edited by SlyFoxMan7; 03-19-2012, 12:03 PM.

Comment

UMLFan, The participant school ticket allotment is 400 per school. That was not included in the 3000. I can confirm that each school took their allotment of 400 tickets. Please note that there are plenty of tickets still available, so if people need tickets and can't get them through their respective schools, they can also go on Ticketmaster or call the Arena.
                    Thanks for the explanation.
                    Monty

Comment

Last year, IIRC, Union sold out their allotment very quickly and had to request more tickets. I would hope and expect that to happen again this year.
                      LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
                        To be fair, couldn't you say that about most teams at this point?
                        Potentially but it is also possible that a teams biggest strength is that there is no glaring weakness

Comment

Originally posted by UnionHockeyManiac View Post
                          Last year, IIRC, Union sold out their allotment very quickly and had to request more tickets. I would hope and expect that to happen again this year.
                          I hope so too. We want a full house in Bridgeport! Glad to hear all of the bands and mascots will be making the trip, as well. That will add to the atmosphere. Should be alot of fun...

Comment

I hope so too. We want a full house in Bridgeport! Glad to hear all of the bands and mascots will be making the trip, as well. That will add to the atmosphere. Should be alot of fun...
                            I don't expect a full house...I think one thing that's really going to hurt the attendance is the fact that Union students are still on spring break (mostly at various locations in the Caribbean). If school had been in session, I think Union would have sent busloads of students down to Bridgeport. Unfortunately, because of this, I don't expect to see many Union students there. I don't think I saw more than 3 students down in Atlantic City this past weekend.
                            LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

This is going to be a very good regional i believe. The thing Union has is that they are the only team coming in without a loss in their last game played. I guess you can make arguments that MSU may be rested up so to say. But I know last year Union had two weeks off till they played their game against UMD. I thought that it wasn't a good thing because of the big break of not playing a game. But thats just me. Union has been playing well lately going 15-2-1 in the last 18. The team will be one celebrating their ECAC championship and are now focusing on the NCAA's. Wish all the teams luck and hopefully the stands will be mostly filled throughout the tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by ForgsUhockey View Post
                                This is going to be a very good regional i believe. The thing Union has is that they are the only team coming in without a loss in their last game played.
                                Miami won the consolation game against BG

Comment

Working...
                                X