X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All Things Denver XXXIII

Originally posted by Dmann View Post
    Hey Du78, my mentor for viewing the pioneers year after year!! Dmann has had a fairly major life change and no longer has Direct TV, gasp!!!So I got an email for Pioneer Vision at 20% off. Is this worth it?, how many games (hockey) will I get? I know you posted this a while back, but do you have the info handy and any thoughts on quality, reliability, etc. Can the games be paused, or viewed later. Do you have to be on hand while the game is going on? etc.
    12 games on Pio Vision this season plus probably the first round WCHA home games. You can view them later as they are all archived. You can view/listen to games, interviews, highlights back to the 2007/08 season.
    DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Rhett Rakhshani singing in Swedish

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

Comment

Originally posted by s11r9seat8
        At least Ciskie picked Brittain - the others picked Thorimbert as best goalie???
        Why not? Should be interesting to see how he does. I would have probably picked Brittain myself but Thorimbert showed some potential last year. Overall though, CC and DU should have the best goaltending tandems in the league this year.

Comment

Does anyone know if DU will publicize the practice schedule, while they're using the ice at Family Sports Center? That's the one off Arapahoe road, where the Avalanche usually practice, correct?? Thanks.
          I want to be a fan of the best team in college hockey - so that explains why I am a DENVER fan!

Comment

FastHockey will live stream the CCM Prospects game on Saturday at 7:00 PM Eastern. Dakota Mermis and Quentin Shore will play for Team McClanahan.
            http://www.usahockey.com/Template_Us...U_01&id=319349
            GO DU !!!

Comment

September 26, 2012

10 Days until DU's next game

#10 is David Makowski, Junior Defenseman

10/06/12 exhibition at Pepsi Center
              GO DU !!!

Comment

If the Pre Season polls are out then it must be time to take a Pre-Season look at the team. Although I only see the team on TV or the internet, I still form totally unbiased opinions.

General Consensus: Pio strength is in goal and on the blueline.

In net, Brittain and Olkinuora are probably the best goaltending tandem around. (Coming off surgery Sam played less than half the season, Adam missed over month with a groin injury and Jussi, who was then thrust into the starter's role, had to be the recruiting coup of the year.)

Sam Brittain--12 games-2.36 goals against average and a .932 save percentage • in four postseason games posted a 3-1-0 record, 1.80 goals against average and a .949 save percentage. Sam and the kid from the south were both listed as All WCHA

Juho (Jussi) Olkinuora--22 games-first in the WCHA in overall games with a 2.18 goals against average and second with a .924 save percentage, netted the Keith Magnuson Memorial Award as Best Defensive Player

Adam Murray--the best 3rd goalie inhe league--14 games-2.98 goals against averagand .909 save percentage

On D, Makowski back after missing all of 2012 due to injury. Rookie of the year LaLeggia, Mayfield, and Didier have a year's experience in the league. And all three had on ice presence last year.

Team Captain Paul Phillips for the grit and leadership.
                Makowski, LaLeggia, and Dakota.Mermis for scoring.
                Mayfield (118 hits and 76 PIMs) and Didier ( Ryder's student had 115 hits and only 18 minor penalties) for BIG hits. Mayfield has to stop the 5 minute and game misconduct penalties and still play with attitude.

Incoming--Dakota Mermis won USHL Championship with Green Bay and Nolan Zajac is solid and the bloodline cannot be questioned.

Offense-Scoring--the elephant in the room.

Upperclassmen--Nick Shore-41 pts., Ostrow-21 pts., Knowlton-19 pts. in 30 games. It seems like last year I kept hearing Nick must be "snake bit"--couldn't get a goal, but he ended up with 41 points. To be honest I was surprised at the total. He may have been undervalued by this observer. Ostrow and Knowlton both had their best year. They need to top last year's output.

Coming of age sophs--Loney-21 pts. in 36 games, Doremus-8 points in 38 games, Larraza-5 points in 26 games. We know Loney can get H-O-T and the coaches showed a lot of confidence in Doremus. Larraza didn't make much of an impact last year. Still waiting to see something from him. Time to get serious and pump up those totals.

Incoming--Quentin Shore, Levin, Arnold, Allen??? Shore played consistently well at the U-18 tourney and we'll see him (Dakota Mermis, too) Saturday in the CCM All American Prospects game.. Arnold was the Unsung Hero for Green Bay last year .Appears to be a big, strong and steady guy. Think NAHL, scoring 90 points, 5'7", 160 lbs., no not Salazar, it's Gabe Levin. Could he be the Czar's heir apparent? Allen-could be the extra.

The other elephant in the room
                Staying healthy--with 20 skaters we simply can't afford injuries. Besides, we had enough last year.

WCHA--Minnesota appears to be a solid #1 pick, but after that it gets pretty muddled. DU could finish as high as 2nd (whioux knows how many players will be on the ice for the formerly known as....), or as low as 5th or maybe 6th. Old Adage: You can't win unless you score.

My apologies to Puck Swami. His pre-season analysis was always so much more insightful.
                That's what happens when you leave it to the amateurs.
                Last edited by vizoroo; 09-26-2012, 07:59 PM.
                GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
                  If the Pre Season polls are out then it must be time to take a Pre-Season look at the team. Although I only see the team on TV or the internet, I still form totally unbiased opinions.

General Consensus: Pio strength is in goal and on the blueline.

In net, Brittain and Olkinuora are probably the best goaltending tandem around. (Coming off surgery Sam played less than half the season, Adam missed over month with a groin injury and Jussi, who was then thrust into the starter's role, had to be the recruiting coup of the year.)

Sam Brittain--12 games-2.36 goals against average and a .932 save percentage • in four postseason games posted a 3-1-0 record, 1.80 goals against average and a .949 save percentage. Sam and the kid from the south were both listed as All WCHA

Juho (Jussi) Olkinuora--22 games-first in the WCHA in overall games with a 2.18 goals against average and second with a .924 save percentage, netted the Keith Magnuson Memorial Award as Best Defensive Player

Adam Murray--the best 3rd goalie inhe league--14 games-2.98 goals against averagand .909 save percentage

On D, Makowski back after missing all of 2012 due to injury. Rookie of the year LaLeggia, Mayfield, and Didier have a year's experience in the league. And all three had on ice presence last year.

Team Captain Paul Phillips for the grit and leadership.
                  Makowski, LaLeggia, and Dakota.Mermis for scoring.
                  Mayfield (118 hits and 76 PIMs) and Didier ( Ryder's student had 115 hits and only 18 minor penalties) for BIG hits. Mayfield has to stop the 5 minute and game misconduct penalties and still play with attitude.

Incoming--Dakota Mermis won USHL Championship with Green Bay and Nolan Zajac is solid and the bloodline cannot be questioned.

Offense-Scoring--the elephant in the room.

Upperclassmen--Nick Shore-41 pts., Ostrow-21 pts., Knowlton-19 pts. in 30 games. It seems like last year I kept hearing Nick must be "snake bit"--couldn't get a goal, but he ended up with 41 points. To be honest I was surprised at the total. He may have been undervalued by this observer. Ostrow and Knowlton both had their best year. They need to top last year's output.

Coming of age sophs--Loney-21 pts. in 36 games, Doremus-8 points in 38 games, Larraza-5 points in 26 games. We know Loney can get H-O-T and the coaches showed a lot of confidence in Doremus. Larraza didn't make much of an impact last year. Still waiting to see something from him. Time to get serious and pump up those totals.

Incoming--Quentin Shore, Levin, Arnold, Allen??? Shore played consistently well at the U-18 tourney and we'll see him (Dakota Mermis, too) Saturday in the CCM All American Prospects game.. Arnold was the Unsung Hero for Green Bay last year .Appears to be a big, strong and steady guy. Think NAHL, scoring 90 points, 5'7", 160 lbs., no not Salazar, it's Gabe Levin. Could he be the Czar's heir apparent? Allen-could be the extra.

The other elephant in the room
                  Staying healthy--with 20 skaters we simply can't afford injuries. Besides, we had enough last year.

WCHA--Minnesota appears to be a solid #1 pick, but after that it gets pretty muddled. DU could finish as high as 2nd (whioux knows how many players will be on the ice for the formerly known as....), or as low as 5th or maybe 6th. Old Adage: You can't win unless you score.

My apologies to Puck Swami. His pre-season analysis was always so much more insightful.
                  That's what happens when you leave it to the amateurs.
                  Nicely done. I miss Swami, too. I guess we'll have to start differentiating between Big Mermis and Little Mermis.
                  Last edited by Old Pio; 09-27-2012, 02:53 AM.
                  2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

September 27, 2012

9 days until DU's next game

#9 is Gabe Levin, Freshman Forward

10/6/2012 exhibition
                    GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                      . I guess we'll have to start differentiating between Big Mermis and Little Mermis.
                      Ooops. Little Mermis is 3 inches taller and 30 pounds heavier than big Mermis
                      GO DU !!!

Comment

William Wrenn on training camp roster for Worcester Sharks of AHL.

http://www.sharksahl.com/assets/team...%209.27.12.pdf

Comment

Brad Schlossman, Grand Forks Herald, picked Sam Brittain and Scott Mayfield for his all WCHA team.
                          http://undhockey.areavoices.com/?p=91458#comments
                          GO DU !!!

Comment

Good summary, Vizoroo.

I suppose it is far too late to bring in an older forward (in the mold of Bozak) for some more immediate offensive contributions? Probably, since we're getting awfully close to the start of the season. I really hope for the best from our forwards, but you can't ask for a better tandem in LaLeggia and Makowski to add some scoring from the blue line.

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
                              Ooops. Little Mermis is 3 inches taller and 30 pounds heavier than big Mermis
                              Literalist.
                              2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                                Literalist.
                                There was a teacher at my high school named Bob Murray, who has a son, Bob Jr. Bob was a really big dude, and they called him and his son Big Bob Murray and Little Bob Murray. As Little Bob Murray got to be a teenager, he got bigger then Big Bob Murray, so they became Big Bob Murray and Little Big Bob Murray.

I guess that probably doesn't apply here.

Comment

Working...
                                X